Detox is not a scary word. Often our bodies know how and when to detox all by themselves. Spring is a super time to start thinking about cleansing. Just a few small steps can lead to a lighter feeling you. Putting a bounce back in your step can be as easy as cracking open a carton of coconut water or making that juice your body is craving.
1. Warm lemon water. This is a great digestive aid (especially first thing in the morning) and gets rid of toxins that may have built up in your system overnight. You can add cayenne pepper for a twist. Or make your own ‘barocca’ with tumeric and cayenne and half a squeezed lemon for a great kick start to your morning.
2. Dry brush. . Dry brushing exfoliates the skin’s outer layer and stimulates the glands and blood circulation. Your skin is an organ of elimination, just like your kidneys, liver, and colon. Dry skin brushing helps keep the pores clear and the skin active to assist the body in this cleansing process.
3. Herbal home-made teas (not tea bags) Try putting a dash of cinnamon, some parsley, mint, sage, ginger or any spices you like such as tumeric, cloves or culinary herbs like rosemary, thyme into warm water to make a lovely tea. I have stopped using tea bags altogether and I much prefer the aromas and flavours I can create myself. If you are growing any herbs (well done you) these are so easy to have on the window sill for easy access to that sweet brew.
4. Yoga stretches in the morning. Moving first thing can make an immense difference to your overall well being. Many of us roll out of bed, brush our teeth, shower get into our clothes and head out for the day. This can change. You really can leave your house in the morning with renewed vigour simply by spending even just five to ten minutes loosening up your muscles after sleeping. MOVE YOUR BODY
Find a few of your favourite poses and imagine you are a wild tiger or cute cat doing your unfurling before you do anything at all. Let out a purr if it helps.
5. Coconut water to hydrate and/or juices. If you have the time the best thing is to make a juice. (especially hydrating is celery, cucumber and apple) But if you are feeling sluggish at any point in the day, I find that a big jug of coconut water can really wake the body up.
And one for good measure – Add more greens to your diet. Even if its just a handful of spinach a day or a bunch of kale a week get it that green goodness somewhere. I love a coriandar salad or a leafy green salad in spring with wild rocket and garlic. Yum for detoxing.
If you find any of the above too taxing book yourself in for a massage or just book in for a massage anyway! This is a great way to eliminate toxins, refresh the system, get the circulation moving, relax and renew. You can self-massage at any point in the day, especially if you are sitting at a desk and/or dont be shy ask your partner to spend even a few minutes working on any difficult to reach areas.
“Begin today. Declare out loud to the universe that you are willing to let go of struggle and eager to learn through joy.”
Sarah Ban Breathnach